Soup Kick

All I have to share lately is recipes because my life has been consumed by the hell that is second semester. I find while I love to cook I tend to use it as a distraction from homework. I get home from classes after 6, by the time I'm done cooking and eating it's after 7 and then I just don't get as much accomplished as I should. 
I've been using our crockpot a lot lately and making soups so I don't get too off track. Soups are amazing you just cut things, throw them in a pot and if I get distracted trying to understand Adobe Illustrator and forget about dinner it just ends up simmering longer and tasting better. Not too shabby

Here's a Minestrone inspired Recipe I made last week. So easy and tasted amazing. 

Minestrone (ish) Soup


Fills one large pot, we got about 10 bowls I'd think from it. 

2 cans of whole tomatoes (diced would probably work too but keep the liquid)
1 box of chicken broth (32 ounce)
4 carrots
4 celery
1 large onion
1 diced white potato
1 teaspoon of garlic
1 cup of chopped spinach
1 can of rinsed white beans
1 cup of small shells
2 bay leaves
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
Olive oil
Parmesan cheese

Cut veggies, coat bottom of the pot with olive oil and heat on medium-high until veggies are starting to look clear and get a slight bit of colour.  Pour in the tomatoes and crush a bit with a wooden spoon to break them down a little more, add chicken broth. Give the big heavy pile of veggies a stir and add your seasonings. 


I added the beans after the soup had been boiling for about a half hour. Go about your business. When you test your veggies and they're softened add your spinach and shells. 
Once pasta is cooked scoop into bowls and top with parmesan. Crusty bread would have been great too. 

Tip: I would leave out the shells next time, the soup had enough to it without them and they absorbed a lot of the amazing broth. Or i'd boil them separately and then throw them in. 

Now back to the homework. Anyone else feeling swamped lately? 

HowtobeLovely

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments :

Post a Comment