Seafood Stew

What do you all think about cookbooks? With Pinterest and access to so many of my favourite chef's recipes on the Food Network's website I'm not sure if I feel like I want them crowding up my bookshelves. Either way my mum got me 500 Best Healthy Recipes for Christmas and I found a recipe I thought I'd try.

Do not make this recipe for 2 people. The ingredients end up being pricey and making a massive amount of stew that you can't finish that easily. I died a little inside when I had to throw the rest out.

Tomato Seafood Stew (with my tweaks) 
Serves 6.

1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions 
4 celery stalks 
Pinch of salt and pepper
3 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 lb of mushrooms (I used a full container) 
2 cans of crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup white wine
2 tbsp dried oregano 
2 tbsp dried basil
3 bay leaves
24 mussels (I purchased a box at Loblaws and just used all the good ones, there was more than 24) 
1/2 pound of shrimp (I used an entire PC bag of frozen shrimp)
1/2 pound of scallops (again whole bag) 
(Recipe also called for 1/2 lb of white fish but I skipped this)
Chopped fresh parsley

1. In a large pot heat oil, onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms until softened. 


2. Pour in tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, and seasonings. Simmer for 25 minutes to let flavours come together. 

3. Clean mussels, remove beards and dirt. This is the fun part, you get to tap the open mussels gently and if they close back up they're alive and safe to eat. Discard any that don't close. This video is great to teach you how to clean, store and de-beard. I kept apologizing to all the live ones when I took off their beards, it's a mean process.

Sorry little guy.
4. Dump all the seafood in and cook for 5-8 minutes until shrimp are pink, scallops are opaque, and mussels have opened. 

5. Serve with crustinis and chopped parsley. 


Ignore my dirty cutting board. 



 This would be a great recipe for entertaining. I found it needed more seasoning, maybe Old Bay would have perked it up a little. If anyone gives it a try let me know! 



HowtobeLovely

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

1 comment :

  1. I'm a lover of seafood, and mainly I tend to eat shrimp and crab that's either been steamed or broiled. This recipe looks fantastic for the summer. I've never tried mussels before, but this looks like something to serve on a lazy day. The recipe includes so many ingredients I like, and I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete